Aim and Purposes of SIGdial
SIGdial aims to encourage researchers and educators to:
- promote development and distribution of reusable discourse processing components;
- explore techniques for evaluation of dialogue systems;
- share resources and data among the international community;
- encourage empirical methods in research;
- agree upon standards for discourse transcription, segmentation, and annotation;
- promote collaboration among developers of various dialogue system components;
- support student participation in the discourse and dialogue community.
Functions and Activities of SIGdial
SIGdial performs and encourages the following functions and activities:
- promotion and development of the field and avenues for publication;
- provision and coordination of a library of discourse processing development tools, software, data, bibliographic references, publications, and links to related web pages;
- facilitation of communication between researchers in this field;
- provision of information about relevant research and resources; and,
- development of standard corpora and interface formats for coordination of the organization of workshops and symposia liaison with other SIGs, funding organizations, etc.